Then She was Gone by Lisa Jewell

Then She was Gone by Lisa Jewell.

Laurel, whose life is forever changed when her teenage daughter mysteriously vanishes on her way to the library. Ellie going missing was just the catalyst for the falling apart of what Laurel has come to know as her life. She loses all of the close relationships as she mourns the loss, and the lack of closure she has gotten over the past 10 years of Ellie's disappearance.


Ellie was your typical teenage girl. Ellie has her typical teenager stresses, such as studying for exams, and home troubles. One day on her way to the library to study for her upcoming exams, she vanishes without a trace. No body discovered and there is no concrete evidence of foul play in the disappearance of Ellie Mack. After ten years missing the police are forced to contact Ellie’s parents to relive all the known facts of the case, when Ellie’s schoolbag that she was using at the time she went missing is found in the wilderness.

The many years of loss left Laurel in a crippling depression, which lead to the loss of the support fibres in her family. Laurel manages to alienate her ex-husband, and her other children. Laurels life forever changes when she  is in a local coffee shop and she has an encounter with a man. A spark is reignighted within her. Hesitant at first, Laurel eventually begins to realize that she’s still human, and that there is more to her as a person other than being a mother who’s lost her daughter ten years ago.

According to my goodreads account I gave this book ⭐⭐⭐.5 out of 5.

This book was much slower that what I had expected from initial review of the books synopsis. By no means does this mean that I did not enjoy reading this book, but what I expected and what I received were two very different things. I have found that the further that I get into this book, the more interesting it becomes. I am sitting here trying to think of what should be said about it, and I am left baffled. With each additional page turned, this book pulls me in more and more with all of the twists and turns are that keep jumping out of the pages leave me feeling that I have to pick my jaw up off of the floor.

There have been far too many times in this book where I have been left wondering if what is being painted in my mind is plausible. I spent the first 1/3 of the book wondering when this book would begin to pick up. As I waded my way through the story, when the plot twist dropped is when I quickly realized every mundane fact I had read through thus far has managed to become relevant.I

If you'reinto page turners that leave you guessing what's going to happen next, then this book is for you. 

Popular posts from this blog

The Shape of Water by Guillermo Del Toro

The Echo of Old Books by Barbara Davis

Goodbye 2018 reads, Hello 2019 books! #NewYearNewPages