The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood, The Lost Letter by Jillian Cantor


I spent the first portion of 2018 reading The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. This is a classic that insites the underlying feminist movement in any individual.I found as I read further into the book, the more I got into it. I throughly enjoyed loved this book. I gave this book ⭐⭐⭐⭐/5. I felt a little lost in the beginning of the book, attemptinf to try to figure out what the rules are, and the reationalization for the way that society had become. This books is a CLASSIC, you Cannot go wrong with it, I would absolutely recommend this book to my friends.

Once I finished the Handmaid's Tale, I moved one to the main genre so far of 2018. The main genre that I have most recently fallen in love with, and ot happens to be historical fiction (mainly focussing on WWII). For some reason the under dog story of any resistance toward the Nazi rule during 1935-1945 has been turning my crank for the end of 2017 and the beginning of 2018. This is when I decided that I would read "The Lost Letter" by Jillian Cantor. This books is about the love, and the struggle of a Jewish family who's main income comes from the designing of stamps and engraving of plates for the production of stamps. This story is split between two different time frames, which begins to make more sense the further you get into the story.

Kristoff is a young man during 1939, who is looking for a trade to start his personal career with. Kristoff is an artist who manages well with charcoal and paper, which doesn't exactly translater over to the engraving process of stamp production. Kristoff is taken in to be an apprentice of a master stamp engraver where he is taught the trade. Kristoff's journey life changes on night of the broken glass, when his mentor disappears, and no one knows where he's disappeared to. Kristoff falls in love with his mentors family, and more specifically his daughter. The daughter is a strong willed woman who can be a little of a hot head towards the germans.

LA 1989, Katie Nelson is a character who is going through a divorce and trying to sort out whats left of her life. Her father has recently been sent to a long term care facility. As Katie is sorting through her fathers remaining belongings she finds his vast collection of stamps. With this collection Katie decided to have the stamps appraised to see if there was anything rare or worth keeping. It's when a strange stamp on an old letter that hasn't been sent to who it was intended for turns up, that the adventure begins. Katie doesn't want to read the letter, and becomes interested in the origin of the letter. This book I may recommend, but I don't think it would be the first to come to mind

I enjoyed this book, and I think one of the main reasons was that the charecters were well developed, and they were likeable, the plot line of the story left ne wondering the good old "what's going to happen next?". It was an easy quick read. I gave this book ⭐⭐⭐/5 on goodreads.


Popular posts from this blog

The Shape of Water by Guillermo Del Toro

The Echo of Old Books by Barbara Davis

Goodbye 2018 reads, Hello 2019 books! #NewYearNewPages