Bobbi Ann Mason-The Girl in the Blue Beret


The Girl in the Blue Beret By Bobby Ann Mason.

Marshall Stone, an ex-pilot forced into retirement from his commercial airline. Stone decides after he no longer has any obligation to the airline, that he is going to get in touch with the various individuals who helped him and his air crew escape German occupied France. Marshall was one of the pilots who flew a bomber for the allies during the Second World War. On a return mission Stone and his crew are shot out of the sky, and are forced to initiate and emergency landing. Once on the ground in France, the surviving crew attempt to escape the German forces. Along with the aid of the surrounding villagers the crew manage to evade capture, and return home.

This book was a difficult read for me, it was the complexity of the reading, but it was the dryness and the story itself. On my Goodreads account I gave this book ⭐⭐/5. I think one of the fatal flaws of this book for me was Marshall Stone’s character. Stone is obsessed with everything airplanes and flight plans, I thought it became burdensome throughout the story. One of the more disappointing moments in the book is when Stone is speaking of the worst day of his life, and he says that it’s the day he and his crew crashed their plane. It was something that left me scratching my head, with this comment this provided a disappointing insight into Marshall’s character. I found that the story was dry, I think it was maybe that the story was told as a distant memory, rather than in two different times. The past story comes back as a hazy memory that changes as Marshall begins to piece it together through the various people he reconnects with. I also found that this story only started to perk up for me after Marshall finds Annette, and they start sharing their stories with one another. I found Annette’s story more interesting than Stone’s.

Unfortunately this book did not stand up to what I was hoping for, which means I wouldn’t recommend it to my friends or family. This is a book that I would rather forget.

Popular posts from this blog

The Shape of Water by Guillermo Del Toro

The Echo of Old Books by Barbara Davis

Goodbye 2018 reads, Hello 2019 books! #NewYearNewPages