The Red Sparrow Trilogy By Jason Matthews


After I finished Jillian Cantors The Lost Letter I picked up Red Sparrow by Jason Matthews. The first book of the Red Sparrow trilogy. I rated this book ⭐⭐⭐⭐/5 on my goodreads account which generally means that the book couldn't get much better, but usually lacking an emotional connection with the book. When I finished this series, I didn't have to tame time before choosing the next book to read.

I'm not usually one to pick up a present day espionage book, let alone take on a trilogy. What really had me is that I kept seeing all of the trailers for the first movie. Once I ackowledged that it was going to be a movie I couldn't seem to get away from the book reviews. From there I was hooked, and I kmew that I had to read the books before they became films. I could have just waited and watched the movie when it came out, but the adaptations are never as good as the book is.

Nathaniel Nash the rising CIA handler of high value informants within the Russian intelligence community. Nate at the beginning of the books is running MARBLE the longest running moles inside the Russian SVR.

Dominika Egorova is a talented rising russian ballet dancer. She becomes injured, and her dancing career is ended. Dominika is recruited by the SVR to go to a secret hidden school known as "Sparrow School" which specializes in training spies who specifically aid in the use of "sexpionage". Once training is completed Dominika is assigned to recruit Nate, as he is assigned to recruit her. Nate ends up recruiting Dominika to provide secrets to the CIA.

I thoroughly enjoyed this and would recommend this page turner to any of my friends.

Palace of Treason by Jason Matthews. The second book of the Red Sparrow trilogy. I gave this book ⭐⭐⭐⭐/5. I enjoyed this book more than the predecessor, and more than the final book of the series. The first book built up to this, where Dominika has become successful in the SVR and as a mole for the CIA. In this book the relationship between Dominika and Nate begins to flourish.

This books is a race against the clock. One of the American moles manages to get a list of active SVR moles it comes down to capturing and finding out who the American mole is, and stopping the lost from uncovering Dominika.


The Kremlin's Candidate by Jason Matthews. The third and final book in the Red Sparrow trilogy. I gave this book ⭐⭐⭐/5. I found that this book became a little redundant when compared to the previous books. I felt that the main bulk of the plot has been what has been found in the previous two books. The main change is that this books is mainly located in Russia. Specifically at Putin's private property. The plot is still good, but it loses its shine. It just doesn't quite have the same sort of zeal. With the plot twist near the end the book still had me absolutley rattled. The ever changing dynamoc obf the relationship between Dominika and her support CIA staff becomes more apparent this book. This book becomes complicated with the evolvong relationship between Dominika and Nate. I had a moment where all o could do was shake my head and ask "WTF???!!?". A great way to finish off a powerful series. Still... Would

Popular posts from this blog

The Shape of Water by Guillermo Del Toro

The Echo of Old Books by Barbara Davis

Goodbye 2018 reads, Hello 2019 books! #NewYearNewPages