The Echo of Old Books by Barbara Davis



The main premise of the book is about a book shop owner Ashlyn Greer, a rare book seller, who has this special ability to feel the feelings left on a book from an owner through what she calls echos. One day as she is going through a box of old books that a friend came across, she ends up feeling a great despair emanating from a particular book. After reaching out to the person she recieved the book from she finds out there there are 2 devastating novels both with feelings of despair associated with the echos given off from the books. The story is 2 sets of stories intertwined with unfolding as it is actualy happening, with a more of a realtime feel, and the other is taken from the found novels leaving a whole world of historical mystery. 

I found that as I was reading the book, I was more interested in Ashlyns story, rather than the stories told by the authors from the discovered novels. All in all I did not find the main story and the other two discovered from the books too far fetched, but I found parts of the story dry.  With that in mind it I personally found that the book began to drag out. Perhaps it was the writing, or it was the style of the book itself (two additional works of fiction within one work of fiction). The main characters ability to feel these 'echos' in which the actual book is titled after, doesn't present as much of a main feature of the story itself. Perhaps the ability comes around as an afterthought.
The actual writing by the author was good, and somwhat enjoyable, well enough to keep me from adding thos book to my did non finish section (few and far between). Unfortunatley this book was a little out of the box for me, elicited no real emotional response as I ventured further into the story.
With The Echo of Old Books not being a real page turner for me, I found that I was looking for time to put this book down which i suppose lead to  perhaps many unintetentinonal breaks. This book took me much longer for me to finish in compatioson to other books I have read.

As I see from the many reviews on goodreads, 4.49 stars out of five at the time fo this review. I will give this book a 2.5-3 stars out of five. I think thats only in realtion to my personal preference for fiction novels. This one just did not hit the mark for me, and I was somewhat hoping for more. 
I think for me recommend this book to someone I know, it would have to be someone that I personally know well, and if i thought it would suit their readeing genre.

Popular posts from this blog

The Shape of Water by Guillermo Del Toro

Goodbye 2018 reads, Hello 2019 books! #NewYearNewPages