February 2023 Historical Fiction Books to be Excited about

I was looking back through my twitter account posts over the past year or so,From time to time I also enjoy posting about 4 books I have become quite excited about. Here are the 4 historical fiction books that I intended to keep an eye out for this year. I have already found a couple and finished them. This Twitter post, I posted this  in late February, and i mean I am still excited to find these books.

Anyways here it is.


i. Code Name Sapphire By Pam Jenoff

It's a book by Pam Jenoff, and that right there means it generally is going to be top drawer. I thoroughly enjoyed The Lost Girls of Paris which is the unrelated book published by Pam Jenoff. 

I have actually managed to get my trash panda paws on a copy this book. This book was unfortunately only mediocre for me, I didn't love it, but at the same time I also did not hate it either. By no means was it anything like The Lost Girls of Paris.

 The book stars off with Hannah's entire world comes crashing down when she witnesses her husband being murdered during the pogrom, after she witnesses the murder she loses her unborn child. After her husband saves her life with his personal sacrifice, an opportunity arises for Hannah to escape from the Nazis and to come to America and Hannah takes it. Unfortunately as the ship is to arrive into port they are rejected and redirected back to Europe. She finds a safe haven and acceptance from her cousin in Brussels where Hannah finds her way in with the local resistance network.

This book went quickly for me, less than a week in a time where we were attempting to stay organized to move. This was a 3/5 star book. I would recommend this book to someone who enjoys World War II Historical fiction.






ii. Lady Tan's Circle of Women by Lisa See

Lisa See, If this book’s writing style is anything like The Island of Sea Women by Lisa See, I will be in a whole new world. The Island of Sea Women was absolutely captivating, and I am hoping the Author can do it again with this book. 

By the looks of the ratings on goodreads, the 4.48/5 star rating is promising.

The story is supposedly inspired by a true story of a 15th century female physician, who is looking to break from the norms of the time. The cover is absolutly stunning lets hope the story is as captivating as the cover itself.



iii. The Little Wartime Library by Kate Thompson

With a goodreads rating of 4.31/5 stars, this book looks promising. A world war II book (shocked at this point?) based on a true story set in London. Clara is a librarian who risks everything to turn the Bethnal Green tube station into an underground library with which an underground community develops, and struggles to survive the war. 

This is a book that I have been attracted to based on the title and the cover. I have not read any other works from Kate Thompson, but we will have to wait and see what the book has to offer. I will for sure keep you posted on what I feel and think about the book, and who knows what can come from cracking this book open.



iv. Daughters of Victory Gabriella Saab

With  a goodreads ranking of 3.86/5 this book was relatively promising. I did however enjoy this book. I gave this book 4/5 on goodreads myself. I found the story interesting. I found that I wanted to read more and more of this book every time I had to put the book down.

Russia 1917 Svetlana was raised to be a Russian wealthy Aristocrat, but she ended up going against the norm and turned her back on the wealthy. Svetlana is released from prison and attempts to return to the underground resistance to find everything has changed. As Svetlana begins to get her footing back on the outside of prison, her past comes to stifle her plans to remain with the resistance. 

1941 Svetlana has opened her home to Mila, who at the request of her mother comes to live on a farm away from civilization, and the war. Mila finds her way to the nearby village, and eventually finds her way into the resistance. Family secrets begin to unfold forcing Svetlana to eventually face her past.

 I found the story touching, and quite enjoyable. I would recommend this book to a friend without hesitation. If you do enjoy some historical fiction this book is a worthy read.

With me attempting to catchup on much of the posts I feel like some of these are short and sweet. Once I get back on the wagon of writing about books more regularly, I'm certain there will be more thoughts and feelings on each book.

Popular posts from this blog

The Shape of Water by Guillermo Del Toro

The Echo of Old Books by Barbara Davis

Goodbye 2018 reads, Hello 2019 books! #NewYearNewPages