The Shape of Water by Guillermo Del Toro

So, this book is far out of my comfort level for genre. I’m don’t know myself to venture outside of my regular norm. From my regular WWII historical fiction, to police procedural, I rarely venture into uncharted territory of Guillermo Del Toro. I rarely find myself branching out to any sort of science fiction or fantasy. I think the last fantasy novel I read was the City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare back in 2014, and that one was dragging the series out too far and ended up being a 2/5 star book for me.  Where all I can say is that I thoroughly enjoyed those book, and ended up giving it 5/5 on my Goodreads account.
            The Shape of Water was an absolute knockout of a book. I was hesitant to pick it up at first, and that’s mainly due to the nature of the story. The giant creature and a human being, and the love story are usually an off switch for me. I think that’s because it usually makes me think of Beauty and the Beast. This story was anything but your run of the mill stereotype. It had moments of suspense, fear, joy, surprise and tears. It was a slow pick up but once things got going and the author kind of decided where things were going and I gathered my bearings the story began to gain traction. I found the more that I read, the more involved I became in the many points of view involved in this story. I found that most of the small details were relevant, and made smile when they came back into focus. The details and the communication in this book is so well conveyed to the reader, it makes reading this book a quick easy read.
“This is how she was taught to do it at Home, in every area of life. Thin out the mystery of life, the fascination, the lust, the horror, until you no longer question it.”
 
            Elisa Esposito is a graveyard custodian for the Occam aerospace research facility. Elisa was an orphan as a child and unable to communicate verbally which makes her an outcast in most aspects of her daily life. One night when she is at work she is granted access to clean up a classified room which contains the captured creature from the amazon. Elisa finds herself waiting throughout the day for the next time that she can see and spend time with this beautiful creature. As the visits increase in frequency, so does the bond with the Amazonian creature. Elisa begins to share with the creature and even teach the creature things that Elisa enjoys from her own world. The creature begins to embrace what this strange woman has to offer him.
Richard Strickland is a blood thirsty soldier who was tasked with capturing the monster from the amazon. Richards’ point of view in the story shows the emotional and mental destabilization of the character. He becomes so obsessed with the creature, and eventually with the creatures death. He’s untrusting and fears Russian moles on the Occam centre. Robert Hoffstetler is the scientist who is tasked with the studies on the creature while it’s in captivity. This character struggles with his conscience and moral codes throughout the book.
Honestly with the dynamic of the many characters and the simplicity of reading of the book, this book is must read, for anyone enjoys reading. This story has a nice balance of everything that makes a story amazing. Hands down one of the best books that I have read this year.
After finishing Guillermo Del Toro’s The Shape of Water, I have decided that I am moving on to the Immortalists by Chloe Benjamin.
           
 

Popular posts from this blog

The Echo of Old Books by Barbara Davis

Goodbye 2018 reads, Hello 2019 books! #NewYearNewPages