The Queen of Hearts by Kimmery Martin

 
The Queen of Hearts by Kimmery Martin.
This book was an interesting book for me. I'm not usually very keen on the romance genre. My genre choices are usually more police procedural, thrillers, along with an outrageous an out of historical fiction, so this book ended up being a stretch for me at best.
 A story of a couple of medical students in Charlotte, North Carolina. Zadie Anson, and Emma Colley struggle with the troubles of balancing their personal lives with the work lives in their early twenties. With a second time frame telling their story from further down Emma and Zadie’s lives. Where they are married and have children, and well established careers. That’s when the love interest pretty much finds his way back into everyone’s life after a hot mess of a breakup many years prior, all to have the memories of betrayal, love and loss brought back into the physicians lives.
This was a 3/5 star book for me. I there were a couple of points in the story where I considered putting the book down, and pacing it in my “did not finish shelf”. I think the cover was what attracted me to the book. I know not to "judge a book by its cover" but I am for sure guilty with this one. The title and the art work left me gravitating toward this book.
 The characters unfortunately felt like they were superhuman with their ability to manage the life and death choices, while struggling through personal choices of significant others. The story felt almost Grey's Anatomy like, with the weird hospital sexual encounters, and the breaking away from work to go and meet in the on call rooms appeared to be unrealistic at best (left me feeling like I was reading some Shonda Rhimes). I did enjoy the medical side of the story, every time that a medical emergency, or procedure was performed, I became enthralled with it. The language is a little heave on the medical side.
 Every time I started to get bored with the story something interesting would happen, but at the same time I felt that the problems would be dragged out for so long. Eventually the dawning of the plot and the fall apart of relationships throughout the story kept me reading, perhaps in anticipation of what was going to happen next. The sad and unfortunate thing about this book is that I would not recommend this book, but I think that's because it's of a genre that I pretty much never read. So in turn I don't have any context to apply to the book.

Popular posts from this blog

The Shape of Water by Guillermo Del Toro

The Echo of Old Books by Barbara Davis

Goodbye 2018 reads, Hello 2019 books! #NewYearNewPages