The Death and Life of Eleanor Parker by Kerry Wilkinson

The book starts with seventeen year old Eleanor 'Ellie' Parker waking up on the embankment of a river half in the water, in the early hours of the morning. Ellie has little recollection of the night before. She manages to get home, but throughout the morning she begins to find that she has significant bruising on her chest and arms, she finds that she can’t get warm, and cannot eat or hold anything down when she eats. After no food, no sleep, and no experience of pain since awakening on the river embankment, Ellie becomes convinced that she died that night. She has no explanation as to how she is still conscious and functioning as she did prior to the forgotten night.

Ellie and her family lives in a small town where gossip appears to be one of the main currencies. Nothing is private in the town, and for anything that is a well kept secret, becomes embellished beyond belief through rumours, and lies. Ellie’s brother Oliver has been the centre of scrutiny in the previous year, he was in a serious relationship with Sarah who one day vanished without a trace. Eleanor spends the remainder of the book searching to find put what happened to her the night before, wading through close relationships, town drama, and river flashbacks.

I enjoyed most of this book, and for that reason I will be rating this book ⭐⭐⭐/5. To be absolutely honest, I was rather disappointed in how the book was wrapped up. I felt like there was a poor explanation to what happened to Eleanor Parker, and how she managed to come “back to life”, along with the final climax with the antagonist. I was absolutely shocked with the discovery of the antagonist in this book. I was speechless, and the reasoning for Ellie’s “demise” could be plausible, and I think that’s what kept me reading to the very end. Early on in the book, I thought it was a strange concept that Ellie was only semi certain that she was one of the walking dead, and semi investigating her own death, yes the details pointed to her being “undead”. I suppose that the undead aspect had me intrigued, and left me wondering if it was actually true.

For recommendation I think I might recommend it to a friend if they were looking for a mystery novel with a twist. I don’t think I would think of this book right away if I was asked to recommend an amazing mystery book.

  I did receive this book for an honest review from the publisher on association with Netgalley I would like to extend my gratitude to both the publisher and Netgalley.


Popular posts from this blog

The Shape of Water by Guillermo Del Toro

The Echo of Old Books by Barbara Davis

Goodbye 2018 reads, Hello 2019 books! #NewYearNewPages